From the farmers who grow our produce to the fisherman who bring in the day’s fresh catch, every aspect of our dining experience is designed with intention. Our kitchen, headed by renowned Chef Marielle Hajj, blends cross-cultural cuisines with ease. Having trained under some of the most renowned European chefs, Marielle brings her native Middle Eastern and Mexican heritage to the Fijian table– understanding subtle distinctions in flavor, she crafts each dish with a true care and respect for each ingredient.
These ingredients come from none other than the land itself. Due to geographical isolation and incredible fertility of soil, we grow or catch up to 85% of our food on the island, and guests dine on vegetables and fruits that were picked from our groves only hours before, or seafood caught that day. From micro-greens and Fijian pink ginger to locally raised venison, guests can experience a unique twist on island cooking methods with the freshest Wakaiian food.
In addition, our dining staff is more than happy to accommodate dietary preferences, without compromising flavor or presentation of our dishes.
When it comes to dining, we believe in using the dining experience to enhance the occasion, so we offer the following dining options:
- Private dining in your room, on your private deck or in your secluded garden—you direct us!
- A private picnic on one of Wakaya’s many pristine and secluded beaches
- A sunset cocktail at one of the many locations on the Island overlooking the Koro Sea and its awe-inspiring sunsets
- Enjoy a barbecue on the beach.
- Snacks by the pool, under the shade of your umbrella or one of our deck bures
- Join us by the beach at Baravi Lailai for a relaxed yet elegant lunch, or perhaps a private dinner, with seating for up to 16 people.
- For a more formal affair, join us in the dining room and enjoy your meal with a backdrop of sounds from the ocean; end the evening with local Fijian live music or even one of the Island choirs.